Leave Without Permission Policy
Policy; if child attempts to leave the classroom/school without permission;
- Stay calm. Reason with the child. Contact – phone principal/deputy, teacher or SNA in close proximity.
- If you are on your own with your class stay with them or get second teacher to remain with them. The primary responsibility of the school is towards the class.
- Reason with pupil, ask them how we can support them to make the correct choice/return and we will discuss the situation and try supporting them to resolve it. Offer to phone parents to let them discuss it with them.
- If they still insist on going staff will keep trying to contact parents. Allow the child to speak to parent/guardian if phone contact can be made with them. Stand at exit door. If child leaves the building two staff follows if available. Continue to try contact parents.
- The two staff will walk if possible and try to keep the child calm by speaking to them.
- If parents or guardians cannot be contacted the other emergency number given by parents can be phoned.
- If staff cannot contact the parents and cannot locate the child or are concerned for the child’s safety, the HSE or/and gardai will have to be contacted.
- When the child comes back to school a detailed investigation will be carried out. The school Code of Behaviour will be adhered to. A support plan will be put in place and reviewed within required timeframes.
- Written records of the incident will be kept.
- Once a child voluntarily leaves the school, the school is no longer responsible for the child.